Act Now: Submit Comments in Support of Twin Metals Today
The U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is now conducting a 30-day public input period through Jan. 22, 2019 to solicit comments on the completed environmental assessment for the renewal of Twin Metals Minnesota federal mineral leases.
These mineral leases are the foundation of Twin Metals underground copper-nickel mining project and their renewal is critical to the continued design and submittal of a formal mine project proposal to state and federal agencies. Twin Metals has held these leases in good standing for more than 50 years, and has invested more than $400 million in exploration and design of a formal mining proposal.
We need supporters to submit a comment to the BLM by Jan. 22. Voice support for the project and mining in northeast Minnesota by submitting a comment here.
Below are suggested points for comments to copy and paste into the form when submitting a comment by clicking here:
- I support renewal of the Twin Metals federal mineral leases, providing greater certainty for private investments in exploration that produce significant economic activity.
- In a modern mining era and within existing state and federal laws, Twin Metals should be allowed to design a mining project proposal for rigorous review by state and federal agencies.
- Along with multiple robust public input opportunities on mining in northeast Minnesota in the last three years, the proposed 30 day comment period offers additional inclusivity and public access and should be deemed sufficient.
- The BLM determined in the environmental assessment that there are no environmental concerns associated with these mineral leases. The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) is a well-established process in place for environmental review of all mining projects after a specific project is proposed.
- Mining projects offer the best opportunity for well-paying, quality jobs and substantial and sustaining investment in the northeastern Minnesota region.
Thank you for the continued support!